Monday, January 30, 2012
The Washington State Legislature is poised to pass a marriage equality bill, which will likely make it the 7th state (9th US jurisdiction if one includes DC and the Suquamish Indian Tribe) to allow same-sex marriage. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politicsnorthwest/2017341256_gay_marriage_bill_voted_out_of.html As in Maryland, the Washington bill is sponsored by a Catholic Governor. http://ncronline.org/news/politics/same-sex-marriage-issue-facing-lawmakers-voters-several-states Washington Governor Christine Gregoire has explicitly addressed her discernment process over the past several years. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/28/chris-gregoire-washington-governor-gay-marriage_n_1239058.html
- Another Garnett on solidarity and suffering
- TCPA's content-based robocall ban survives in the Fourth Circuit because of severability; previously exempt debt-collecting robocallers apparently in new legal jeopardy.
- Berkowitz reviews Wilken on the Christian Foundations of Human Rights
- A Panel Discussion on the Life and Legacy of Rev. Theodore M. Hesburgh, C.S.C.
- "Catholic Thought and the Challenges of Our Time"